Serves 6 to 8
- Fresh Whole Chicken (remove chicken head, feet and buttock), 1
- Kosher Salt, a handful
- Prima Taste Hainanese Chicken Rice Meal Kit, 1
- Includes Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix, Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil, Sesame Soya Sauce Oil, Chilli Sauce, Ginger Sauce and Dark Soya Sauce.
- Rice, 3 cups (washed and rinsed)
- Water, 2.5 litres
- Iced water
- Tomatoes, 5 (sliced)
- Cucumbers, 5 (sliced)
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Toothpick, 1
- Tongs, 1
- Exfoliate whole chicken’s skin with kosher salt, rinse chicken well and pat dry. Lightly poke about 15 small holes on different parts of the chicken, with a toothpick.
- In a 6.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, add 2.5 litres of water and Hainanese Chicken rice premix. Bring it to a boil.
- When boiling, add whole chicken into the inner pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cover the inner pot’s lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, wash and rinse rice thoroughly in a 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, as well as prepare a separate bowl of iced water that will fit the whole chicken. Set them aside.
- After 1 hour, remove the whole chicken with a tong and place it into a bath of ice water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 610ml of chicken stock from the 6.0L Shuttle Chef® inner pot and Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil into the 3.0L Shuttle Chef® inner pot (already set aside with rice). Stir rice and chicken stock gently, close inner pot’s lid and bring it to a boil over low heat.
- When boiling (or the lid rattles), open the lid to check that the contents are bubbling. When bubbling, stir rice gently and transfer the inner pot with closed lid into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside to continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sesame soya sauce oil packet in a pot of water and bring it to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove packet from pot, carefully cut open and pour sauce into a bowl. Set it aside.
- Remove cooked whole chicken from ice water and chop into pieces.
- Before serving, fluff rice gently, dish out rice and plate it with chicken pieces drizzled with sesame soya sauce oil, cucumber slices and tomato slices.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy your home-cooked Hainanese Chicken Rice with the provided condiments – chilli sauce, ginger sauce and dark soya sauce.
- This recipe is based on using a 6.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-6000, 6.0L Shuttle Chef® inner pot KOB-6000I and 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® RPE-3000 or TCRA-3000.
- You may grab the whole chicken after cooking with tongs by the chicken body, as the meat of the drumsticks will be very tender.
- Should you wish to skip the step of chopping the chicken, you may replace a whole chicken with 6 to 8 full chicken drum legs.
- The cooked rice can be kept warm in the Shuttle Chef® for up to 2 hours.
Original recipe courtesy of Prima Taste. Actual recipe and photos courtesy of Thermos Singapore team.