- Ox tail, 3 lbs (you can also use beef bones with lean meat on them)
- Garlic, 4 cloves (chopped)
- Onion, 1 small (chopped)
- Creamy peanut butter, 1/2 to 2/3 cups, to taste
- Baby Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage), 1 bundle (slicked)
- Eggplant, 1 (sliced)
- Fish sauce, 2 tablespoons, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, 1/2 teaspoon, to taste
- Annatto Powder, 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil, 2 tablespoons
- Shrimp Paste
- [Optional] String Beans, 6-10 pieces (sliced)
- Add cooking oil in a Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot over low heat, and sauté the chopped garlic and onion.
- Add ox tail (or beef bones with lean meat) and add enough water to cover it.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. Turn to low heat and let it simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add ground black pepper and fish sauce.
- Slowly add 1/2 to 2/3 cups of peanut butter (this is to make the sauce creamy with a taste of peanut butter but not overwhelming) and annatto powder.
- Keep stirring to prevent the peanut butter from burning and allow it to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add in string beans, baby bok choy and eggplant. Cover the inner pot and bring it to boil.
- When boiling, put the inner pot into the Thermos® Shuttle Chef® outer pot.
- Set aside and leave it to cook for at least 3 hours.
- Serve it with sauteed shrimp and rice.
Photo and original recipe of Thermos Philippines.