For Leche Flan layer:
- Sugar, ¼ cup
- Water, a splash (adequate to melt the sugar)
- Egg Yolks, 4
- Condensed Milk ¼ cup
- Evaporated Milk ¾ cup
For Ube Cake layer:
- Eggs, 2
- Sugar, 1/4 cup
- Melted Butter 1/3 cup
- Ube Halaya, 3/4 cup
- All Purpose Flour,1/2 cup (sifted)
- Baking Powder, 3/4 teaspoon
- Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Cake Pan, 1
- Steaming Rack, 1
- Aluminium Foil
- Melt sugar with water. Once caramelized, pour the mixture into the cake pan and let it cover the entire bottom base.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, condensed milk and evaporated milk together. Strain the mixture and set this Leche Flan mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat melted butter and sugar well, slowly add eggs while continue to beat the mixture well.
- Continue to beat the Ube Cake batter, while adding ube halaya, sifted flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the cake pan, pour in Leche Flan mixture and slowly pour Ube Cake batter to let it stay on top of the mixture. Cover pan with aluminium foil and secure it with a rubber band or string.
- In a Thermos® Shuttle Chef® Inner Pot, place in the steaming rack, add water till 1/3 full and place the cake pan onto the steaming rack.
- Bring the water in the inner pot to a boil under medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes. (Check water level during boiling and refill water when necessary to ensure water level remains at 1/3 full.)
- When boiling, close inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside for at least 2 hours, for vacuum insulation cooking.
- This recipe is based on using a Thermos® Shuttle Chef® KBG-4500.
- Both steaming rack and baking tin have to fit well into the Shuttle Chef® inner pot when the lid is closed, and the cake pan must be easily placed into the Shuttle Chef® when filled with contents.