Reunion dinners are annual traditions for Chinese families to come together as one, starting the year off with heaps of food symbolizing happiness, health and good fortune. For Singaporeans especially – we all look forward to a huge array of scrumptious Chinese dishes to fill our ravenous tummies!
If you’re cooking up a storm, this is a dish that you should add to your list – Golden Chrysanthemum Chicken (帝皇菊花貴鸡). It’s a soupy chicken dish laden with health benefits of chrysanthemum flowers; a lighter dish accompanied by a wafting floral aroma that’s sure to impress your family.
Preparing a festive feast for a big family can be daunting, and Thermos® Shuttle Chef® is the perfect kitchen gadget that will significantly lessen your cooking time and effort! With it, you only require a 10-minute cooking time, before leaving it to simmer in an outer pot for approximately two hours.
- 1 medium Chicken
- 2 tbsp Chrysanthemum flowers
- 6 Red dates
- 2 small Snow fungus
- 1.7 litres Water
- 3-4 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Soak Chinese herbs in water till soft.
- Discard base from snow fungus when soft and set aside.
- Remove unwanted chicken parts like neck, innards and fats. Separate chicken feet and cut off nails.
- Blanch chicken and feet in boiling water. Drain. Boil water in Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot and cook chicken and feet for about 5 mins. Add dates and fungus and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add chrysanthemum, cover pot and turn off heat.
- Transfer to outer pot and let it brew for about 2 hrs.
- Heat up inner pot just before serving and add seasonings, and your Golden Chrysanthemum Chicken (帝皇菊花貴鸡) is ready to be on the table.
Shirley Tay, who is passionate about food and cooking, has shared this great recipe and its images with us. You can check out this recipe on her blog, Luxury Haven, for photos, tips and other types of exciting recipes!
Recipe and photos courtesy of Ms Shirley Tay and Luxury Haven.